Strong legs are the foundation of most strength-building programmes, and if all you’re doing is leg press, you’re doing yourself a grave injustice. Take a look at these three awesome leg exercises to help make leg day even more horrific. You’re welcome.
Let’s get right into it, split squats are awful. If you didn’t think it was possible to get out of breath doing low-rep squats, think again. You can use a barbell, dumbbells or kettlebells for this.
How to perform split squats
- Set up with one foot on the floor, one foot on a bench, knee pointing at the floor
- With the weight equal on both sides, squat into the front leg
- Keep everything tight, keep your chest lifted, vision forwards
- Do 4 sets of 10 reps each side
An awesome one for complementing heavy squats. Great for building endurance and explosiveness.
How to perform jump lunges
- From standing, jump straight up and land in a full lunge position
- Explode out of the lunge, extending fully at the hips
- Land in a lunge on the opposite leg
- Do 5 sets of 20 with a minute rest in between
The ultimate squat strength builder. It’s a squat which forces you to recruit even more power from your legs, by making you work from a dead stop.
How to perform pause squats
- Once you reach the bottom of your front or back squat, pause
- Hold for 3-5 seconds, keeping your core engaged
- Drive out of the hole. If you need to, get a little bounce before coming up
- Do 4 sets of 3 reps at 75-80% of your max
Our post-workout sports nutrition products could help speed up recovery and assist with growth, especially after an explosive and intense leg session.